Monday, June 25, 2007

Muslim is a priest in Hindu temple

SNV Sudhir/Visakhapatnam

One would be surprised to know that the person rendered the Devi Ashothara Sathanamavali with perfect pronunciation in Maa Durga temple on Seethammavari Konda of Payakaraopeta, Visakhapatnam district is a Muslim to the core. Yes, Sheik Mira Saheb of Gopalapatnam village of Payakaraopeta, was performing regular Hindu rituals, pujas strictly following vedic hymns and regulations with sanctity at the temple for the last 10 years. And people from in and around 24 villages throng this place to have a darsan of the sitting deity and to offer pujas, never feel the difference. It all happened exactly 10 years ago when Mira Saheb was like any other rigorous Musalmaan going to Masjid and offering Namaz five times a day and observing regular Rozas during every holy month of Ramzan. Mira, who used to work as a gardener at the site chosen by the archeologists for excavations of Bhuddhist aramas on the hill Seethammavarikonda, found a three feet statue of the Maa Durga during his regular work of cutting trees. He says it changed the entire course of his life. From that day onwards the Goddess used to come in his dreams, he used to see her wherever he went and whatever he did. A sort of unknown holy feeling developed in within him. Then he decided to personally serve the goddess by performing pujas and other rituals. For that initially he observed the priests of other temples in and around how they were performing their pujas and rituals, as no one would teach him, as he was a Muslim. "One day while I was searching for my Guru I came in contact with a very old man Subramanya Sastry at Pithapuram near Kakinada. He opened his hands and welcomed me without any hesitation. He taught me some basic things for three to four months, even though he got severe opposition from his people. I met him very long back, I don't know whether he is living or dead. But he is a revolutionary kind of person. Later due to my own interest I read many Hindu books and scriptures to know more about Hinduism and the Maa Durga ". But Mira Saheb's son Shiek Khan and relatives never liked his new avatar but never came in his way. "Islam is the greatest religion, my father is a like a black spot of our religion. Our family members and relatives excommunicated him. We are no way concerned with him even though he stays with us. I told him several times to change his attitude but what to do he never listens. I go to Masjid and he goes to temple. But I will admit my children in a Madarsa, as my father may influence my children too" said Khan who runs a mutton shop and a cycle shop. Another interesting thing is Shiek Mira Saheb's wife Mira Bi attends Christian prayers and sometimes goes to Church, which their son Khan doesn't like either. "He stays months together on that hill when he wears Bhavani mala saying that he need to be sacred. I think he is gone Mad." Said Nagur, Mira Saheb's niece.

No comments: