Sunday, April 7, 2013

Heritage unit didn’t have fire NoC


By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, April 7, 2013 : The Heritage Foods dairy plant in Bayyavaram, where a fire claimed the lives of three workers on Sunday, had not obtained permission from the fire department. Fire department officials belonging to the Anakapalle circle had inspected the plant premises in March 2011 and found that the fire safety equipment was not completely installed. The dairy was operating without obtaining the mandatory No-objection Certificate from the fire safety department.
The dairy was directed to apply for the NoC. “Until now they have not turned up. The dairy plant doesn't have an NoC from our department. We have been insisting for long that they get it. But there is no response from them," said P.S. Naidu, fire officer of the Anakapalle circle.
Flouting fire safety rules in this way is a fairly common practice. Of the 103 industrial units spread over five mandals that is covered by the Anakapalle circle, only a couple have obtained the required certificate. Almost all important industries, including pharmaceutical units in Jawaharlal Nehru Pharma City (JNPC), come under Anakapalle circle.
The string of accidents in the recent past at VSP, Nagarjuna Agrichem in Srikakulam, Auctus Pharma Ltd at JNPC in Parawada, Hetero Drugs in Nakkapalli, Avra Laboratories and now at Heritage Foods, has raised questions about industrial safety.
In the rush to encourage industrialisation in the district, the safety of workers and securing NoCs from the fire department, have been sidelined. Before 2010, NoCs were not compulsory. Since then, industrial units are seeking clearance through the district industries centre.
According to Section 38 of the Factories Act, 1948, every industrial unit has to maintain equipment such as extinguishers to douse fire and its spread.

Heritage dairy unit fire kills 3 in Vizag

By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, April 7. 2013: In yet another industrial accident, three persons were killed when a fire broke out at a dairy plant of Heritage Foods (India) Ltd on Sunday morning. The plant is owned by the family of Telugu Desam chief N.
Chandrababu Naidu.
While Mr Naidu’s wife Bhuvaneswari Devi is vicechairperson and managing director, their son Nara Lokesh is its executive director. The plant is located at Kasimkota mandal near Visakhapatnam.
The incident took place when a refrigeration section at the dairy plant, which was under trial, caught fire due to an electromechanical failure. Three workers employed by a contractor, Thermal Engineers, were working on the refrigeration section when the fire broke out. The three workers died on the spot.
The victims were identified as Dharma Veer, 45, from Bihar, G. Sudhakar 27, and Manoj, 28, both from Hyderabad.
The new refrigeration section was installed oneand-a-half months ago and was yet to be commis
sioned. An oil separator exploded due to reported electro-mechanical failure and the entire refrigeration unit caught fire. The blast occurred an hour after work started in the morning.
Other workers were evacuated from the area immediately, and fire tenders were rushed to the spot to bring the flames under control. “We were shocked when we heard the loud blast. There was utter confusion and chaos for a few minutes. We had to run for safety,” said a woman
employee, who was working in an adjacent section.
Anakapalle rural CI R.
Govinda Rao, who visited the accident site, said a case was booked under Section 174 of the CrPC (death due to accidental fire) against the management following the incident and investigation is on.
Ports and infrastructure minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao, who represents Anakapalle in the Assembly, also visited the plant.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Vizag Buddhists vow to oppose beach corridor


By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, April 3, 2013: Union tourism minister K.Chiranjeevi has just approved the Central Financial Assistance (CFA) to the tune of `45.88 crore for the development of VizagBheemili beach corridor mega circuit, from RK Beach to Bheemili, but the Buddhists in the city are apprehensive about the project.
They are angered by the alleged breach of sanctity and archaeological value of the Buddhist monuments like Thotlakonda, Bavikonda, and Pavuralakonda, which were also listed in the tourism circuit that is to be developed.
As part of the development of the beach corridor, there are plans to develop these monuments as tourist attractions. The project includes beautification of the corridor, jogging tracks, food courts, children’s parks, theme parks and solid waste collection centres at some selected places between RK Beach and Bheemili, including the century old Buddhist monuments.
Bhuddhists pointed that these archeological sites are prohibited areas for any development except greenery. Now they want authorities to conduct a meeting with stakeholders before approving any plan that would affect the sanctity and archeological value of these sites. Union tourism ministry had just a few days back released an amount of Rs 3.2 cr as first installment.
 “It is unfortunate either the minister or the officials did not disclose what exactly they are going to develop in these prohibited areas of Buddhist monuments. At this juncture if any damage to ancient monuments is done we will proceed in the
court of law for the protection of archaeological sites. It is also a matter of our belief and sentiments,” All India Lay-Buddhist Organisation (AILBO), governing body member K V  Ramana Rao told this correspondent.
Union tourism ministry had also asked the state government to set up a monitoring committee headed by the special chief  secretary (Tourism) with a member from the ministry of tourism and the implementing agency to monitor physical and financial progress of the sanctioned project. The monitoring committee will submit the progress report to the tourism ministry on quarterly basis. The state government would get the work executed through the APTDC Ltd and shall have the work started immediately to ensure timely utilization of funds and to avoid escalation of the cost. The project should be commissioned within 18months.
One of the Buddhist monuments that come under the mega circuit, the Thotlakonda Buddhi-st complex is located on a hillock overlooking the sea, 128 metres above sea level and about 15 km from the city. It was the hub for the spread of Buddhism to Sri Lanka and South East Asian countries during the third century BC. It was discovered during an aerial survey by the Indian Navy in the 70s. Later, state government declared the entire hill as a protected monument through a GO on May 2, 1978. During his research between 2001 and 2003, an archaeologist working at the University of Michigan, US, Edward Lars Fogelin, discovered 134 sites connected to Buddhism in Andhra Pradesh, including a monastery at Thotlakonda.

Vizag to get giant Ferris wheel soon like London Eye & Singapore Flyer


By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, April 2, 2013: If everything goes as per plan, in a few years, Vizag will have its own giant Ferris wheel, Vizag Eye, on the lines of London Eye and latest tourist attraction to the island nation Singapore Flyer.
After identifying the city’s tourism potential and its rich natural resources, the union government in 2011 entrusted the job of preparing a blue print of ‘attractions’ to be set up in Vizag to Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL & FS).
Accordingly, the IL & FS officials have prepared Detailed Project Reports (DPRs) for around 11 mega tourism projects at a cost of Rs 1,800 cr. Of the 11, around 5 projects at a cost of Rs 850 cr were approved in principle by the union tourism ministry recently. 
Global tenders were also called for 5 projects. Around 29 submitted their technical and financial bids, out of which, 28 were qualified. The tourism department will very soon finalise the tenders after receiving request of proposals from the successful qualified bidders.
Of the remaining, 6 projects, Vizag eye, would be the major tourist attraction, said, IL & FS, vice president and south head, S Srinivas.
The London Eye is a giant Ferris wheel situated on the banks of the river Thames in London. The entire structure is 135 metres- 443 ft tall and the wheel has a diameter of 120 metres- 394 ft. It is the tallest Ferris wheel in Europe and the most popular paid tourist attraction in the United Kingdom, visited by over 3.5 million people annually.  The Singapore Flyer was constructed between 2005 and 2008. Described by its operators as an observation wheel, it reaches 42 stories high, with a total height of 165 m- 541 ft, making it the tallest Ferris wheel in the world 5 m -16 ft) taller than the Star of Nanchang and 30 m -98 ft) taller than the London Eye.
Situated on the southeast tip of the Marina Centre reclaimed land Singapore Flyer comprises a 150 m 492 ft diameter wheel, built over a three-story terminal building which houses shops, bars and restaurants, and offers broad views of the city centre and beyond to about 45 km, including the Indonesian islands of Batam and Bintan as well as Johor, Malaysia.
 “We have just got the approval in principle for 5 mega tourism projects. After inviting the global bids, we are in the process of finalizing them. Once, bids for these 5 projects are finalized and works begin we will immediately get onto the remaining 6 projects. The proposed Vizag Eye would be the jewel among the attractions. It would be breathtaking experience to see Vizag city from such a height. We are hopeful the works move fast,” Srinivas told this correspondent.
Another major attraction would be fourth generation aqua Marine Park with 180degree view, for which a suitable location is identified at Endada.
The other attractions of the remaining six projects include a sea cruise terminal, dedicated tourism train to Araku, rope way at Meghadrigedda and another theme park at a cost of Rs 950 cr. All the works would be taken up under PPP mode.  

High costs cut fishing voyage


By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, April 1, 2013: Skyrocketing operational costs due to steep rise in diesel price and dwindling fish catch, is forcing the fishing industry into troubled waters.
During the 10month fishing season, fishing boats make an average 18 trips into the high seas, each trip lasting between 10 to 15 days. This season the boat owners have had to restrict the trips to around eight eight only. Boats have returned to shores 20 days before the fishing season end on April 15.  Over 600 mechanised boats venture into sea from Vizag’s harbour every year during the fishing season beginning June 1 and ending on April 15 the following year.
In the wake of poor pre monsoon rain fall, this season only 20 percent of the boats went fishing. Remaining boats remained anchored at the fishing harbour. On an average each boat started incurring an expenditure of around Rs 2.5 lakh per trip (Comparedto Rs 1.8 lakh to Rs 2 lakh in earlier season, which includes fuel costs, ration, salaries and other miscellaneous expenses.
“With very less catch this season and high operational costs, boat owners have incurred at least Rs 3o, 000 to Rs 50,000 loss per voyage.  After witnessing the same trend in a couple of voyages most of the owners preferred anchoring the boats at the harbour than sending them into sea,” said Dolphin Boat Operators' Welfare Association, president,  Ch Satyanarayana Murthy.
There are around 10 to 15 species of fish that brings fortune to the boat owners and fisherfolk.  Over exploitation and coastal water pollution has caused sharp decline in fish catch. “There are multiple reasons for the fall in the fish catch. Though this season is not so encouraging when compared to the last, some boats are still trying to go on a voyage as there is almost 15 days to go for season end,” said state fisheries department, joint director, Koteswara Rao.
As the conventional fishing turned unviable since the last two seasons, some of the mechanised boats and trawlers diversified into tuna fishing by converting their boats into Tuna long liners. 

Bauxite mining row deepens


By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, March 31, 2013: The row between the centre and the state on the proposed bauxite mining in Vizag Agency is likely to deepen further. Stating that there has been no response from the governor and the state government to his directives on cancellation of bauxite mining in Vizag Agency in view of the serious objections, union tribal affairs minister V Kishore Chandra Deo, had taken up the issue with the Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh.
On Feb 13, he also wrote a letter to mines minister Dhinsha Patel urging his intervention. On March 17,  Mr Deo, during chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy’s visit to GK Veedhi, openly said he was awaiting state government’s response pushing Reddy into a tight spot.
However, the state government through the principal secretary of industries and commerce, D Srinivasulu, responding to Deo’s directives, wrote a letter, which has been accessed by Deccan Chronicle, to secretary of union ministry of tribal affairs, on Feb 7 itself.
Interestingly, highly placed sources in the union tribal affairs ministry, said so far they have not received any response from the state government.
In its letter to the secretary of union tribal affairs ministry, the state government refuted the objections of Kishore Chandra Deo over cancellation of bauxite mining licenses to APMDC and it also came in support of the governor.
In a strongly worded letter to the mines minister, Deo said that the state governor chose to ‘abdicate’ his authority under the provisions of Article 244 (1) of the constitution and the state government was ‘touting’ about the prior permission accorded by the mines ministry hence urged his intervention.
The state government said governor can cancel the licenses only by giving a reasonable opportunity of hearing under Mines and Minerals Act of 1957 and in such course it requires to follow a procedure under six various circumstances.
In a five page letter, state government gave point wise explanation on five varied objections raised by Deo on the mining. “As regards the destroying the sources of three rivers which are main sources of irrigation and drinking water and the impact on ecological balance, loss of habitat and livelihood due to dislocation of tribals by the mining operations are concerned, the hydrological reports given by Min MEC Consultancy Pvt Ltd, and EIA report are self explanatory,” said the letter.
State government requested the tribal affairs ministry to reconsider the directive issued to cancel the mining licenses. 

Seer opposes short route to Simhachalam


By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, March 31, 2013: The proposal of Simhachalam temple authorities to develop an alternate road to cut short the distance from the city by 3.5 kms had hit a road block with the seer of Sarada Peetam Swamy Swaroopanandendra Saraswathy opposing it.
The present 20km stretch road to Simhachalam was developed in 1950 and passes through NAD Kotha Road and Gopalapatnam. Temple engineering staff along with some endowment officials had conducted survey and feasibility tests on Thursday and Friday on the alternative road planned from Darapalem, which is close to Adivivaram to reach the hill shrine.  
To avoid congestion on the existing ghat road, especially during weekends, temple management planned the new alternative route from Darapalem.
“As per sthala purana, devotees going to the hill shrine have to pass through ‘Tholi Pavancha’ (First step of god’s abode) seen at the entrance of the existing road. It had been the tradition and custom since ages. The tholi pavancha is at steps route. But the ghat road that allows vehicles, was constructed in such a manner that it passes through the first step. It is related to sentiments. The temple management should review their plan,” Swamy Swaroopanandendra told this correspondent.
The seer also pointed that a similar attempt few years back to lay an alternate road from the city had claimed lives of 11 persons. The Simhachalam temple authorities, seven years ago, developed a road along Hanumanthawaka and Adivivaram to reach hill top temple. But it was closed after around 11 persons were killed in an accident just a week before it was to be inaugurated formally.
The temple authorities have almost finalized the alternate road proposal and had sent it to endowments department for necessary clearances. “We are awaiting nod from endowments department. As soon as we get it works would begin,” said a senior official of Simhachalam temple.