Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Errant hospitals to be blacklisted

By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, Feb 8, 2011: After several warnings, the GVMC is now getting ready to act tough on hospitals putting patients’ lives at risk by not complying with mandatory fire-safety norms.

After the tragic fire mishap at a hospital in Kolkata last year, it was reported and highlighted in these columns that many hospitals in Vizag city are also potential death traps in the event of a fire mishap as most hospital buildings lack fire fighting equipment.

Responding to the reports, GVMC commissioner Mr B. Ramanjaneyulu held a high level meeting with representatives of all hospitals coming under GVMC limits. The GVMC commissioner set a deadline of January 26 for hospitals to do self assessment of their buildings and submit check lists to the civic authority.

Though the response was very poor in the second week of January, by the time of the deadline, around 97 hospitals submitted their checklists to the authorities.

Of the 97, around 40 hospitals paid challans to the GVMC seeking no objection certificates (NOC) stating that their buildings have all fire-safety equipment and some are willing to install them in a time bound manner.

Now, with the deadline is over, the GVMC is mulling to wield its whip against errant hospitals. As a first step, these will be blacklisted and notices served on them to create awareness among people.

The list of errant hospitals will also be put on the GVMC website and will also be well publicised.

In the second step, licences will be cancelled and the final resort will be demolishing the hospital buildings.

“We are going to take action in a pragmatic manner in phases and this will begin within a week. We are scrutinising every checklist submitted by the hospitals carefully. Hospitals cannot put patients lives at risk,”

GVMC’s city planner Venkata Ratnam told this correspondent.

Hospital buildings which have four floors come under the GVMC purview.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Liquor sold more than MRP

By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, Jan 31, 2012: Local liquor dealers and excise officials have not mended their ways.

While dealers continue to sell alcohol of various brands at more than MRP, men of the enforcement and monitoring authority — the excise department — are still seen cooling in their offices without taking any action.

Both dealers and excise officials have not learnt any lessons from the recent raids and arrest of some liquor dealers in the city by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB).

A status check by this correspondent reveals that most shops in the city are selling various brands of alcohol at staggering higher rates than MRP.

For instance, Officers Choice whisky which is priced at Rs.294, is being sold at Rs.420 at a popular wine shop located in Siripuram junction.

While Vizag city has 56 shops, Gajuwaka has 148 and Anakapalle 202. Janap-riya Syndicate controls most shops in the city bes-ides two more syndicates.

On Saturday, PVRK Prasad of Janapriya Syndicate, along with Pushkara Ganesh who runs another syndicate were arrested by the ACB for encouraging corruption. “We will be taking some stringent measures from tomorrow onwards to ensure that liquor is sold at MRP,” excise deputy commissioner Bhaskar Rao told this correspondent.

It is learnt that Mr Rao is also under the scanner of the ACB.

Meanwhile, liquor dealers are finding fault with the excise policy of the government and expressed helplessness.

Dealers maintain that they cannot survive in business if liquor is sold at government fixed rates.

They added that the present MRP rates were fixed long ago in 2005 and they bagged dealerships and shops at a high bidding conducted by the excise department.

During the last auction held in 2010, a liquor shop at Peda Waltair was bid for ` 4.72 crore, the highest in the city. Around 56 IMFL shops in the city fetched ` 140.37 crore to the excise department as against last year’s Rs.73.68 crore, registering almost a 90 per cent growth.

Ganta faces his first test on home turf

BY SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, Jan 30,2012: Minister for ports and infrastructure Ganta Srinivas Rao, who had said that there would be no conflict of interest between his business and his Cabinet responsibility, will face his first test on his home turf on Monday.

If the stand taken by the Telugu Desam corporators in the GVMC is anything to go by, Mr Srinivas Rao would find himself in a tight spot over a two-and-a-half acre plot of prime land located in Aseelmetta that was bagged by his firm, Pratyusha Constru-ctions.

The TD corporators plan to corner the minister in Monday's GVMC council meeting over the fact that the Mr Srinivas Rao's firm bagged the lease rights for 33 years for the land under PPP mode.

The GVMC had decided to develop nine sites in various parts of the city under Public-Private- Partnership by inviting tenders. A special technical committee was also formed in this regard.

Though the bidding was finalised by the special technical committee, it has to be approved by the Council. This will be taken up at Monday's meeting.

The TD corporators are gearing up to oppose it tooth and nail, alleging that GVMC officials helped the minister to bag the lease.

“It is clear that Mr Srinivas Rao managed the GVMC officials. Normally, the tendering process should be widely advertised. But in this case, it was not at all advertised. Not even a single big firm showed interest in this land which is located in the prime locality,” said former minister and TD district president Ch. Ayyana Patrudu.

Mr Patrudu added that no one was aware that tenders calling for development of the site in Aseelmetta near Sampath Vinayagar temple. “It was all done in a hush-hush manner,” he said.

Around 14 firms showed interest in developing the site. Out of 14 around three firms were scrutinised and among these three, Pratyusha Constructions quoted the best bid and bagged the lease.

It is learnt that Pratyusha Constructions expressed the willingness to pay Rs.2.5 crore to the GVMC annually after developing the land.

Mr Patrudu said that due to lack of proper publicity, no one came forward to take part in the bidding process. “The three firms that were finalised are also associated to Mr Srinivas Rao. The bidders were also ringed due to which the minister could get the site at a very nominal cost,” he alleged.

The TD leader added, “The GVMC council should approve the lease which is likely to be taken up tomorrow as part of the table agenda. Our corporators would definitely oppose it and will not allow the land to be given to minister's firm.”

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Maoists help tribals quarry gemstones

By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, Jan 23, 2012: The presence of Maoists in hillocks in Chintapalli worries both police and forest officials, also due to the illegal quarrying of semi precious stones which has been reported to be rampant in Vizag Agency.

While forest and police officials successfully controlled this illegal activity, which was widespread until a few years ago, in Karaka forest range coming under Narsipatnam, they do not dare to enter Singanapalli, Gondupalli in the Boincy reserved forest region coming under the Chintapalli Agency mandal, for fear of Naxalites.

It is reported that hundreds of local tribals are actively involved in quarrying of semi precious stones, which fetches lakhs in the open market, in the newly identified hillock in Chintapalli.

Local traders deal with traders from Rajasthan, Odisha and Tamil Nadu and engage tribals in quarrying with Maoist cover. Middlemen pay tribals Rs.10,000 to Rs.50,000 for a stone depending on the size. The unscientific way of quarrying is posing a threat to the lives of tribals.

On Sunday morning, a hillock, where tribals were busy digging until late on Saturday night, suddenly collapsed. Fortunately there were no casualties as no worker was there at that time. “We are trying our best to control the activity as any quarrying or mining activity in the reserved forest area is banned and illegal,” the divisional forest officer of Narsipatnam, Mr Ram Mohan Rao told this correspondent.

Recently, Chintapalli police arrested 13 persons and seized semi precious stones worth Rs.3 lakh in their possession. It is learnt that Maoists are endorsing the illegal activity by collecting money from traders.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Cops to snoop on violators

By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, Jan 1, 2012: Now an offender cannot just go scot-free from the watchful eyes of surveillance cameras and alert police personnel who monitor key junctions across the city round-the-clock sitting at the integrated control room.

As a New Year initiative, city police recently lau-nched an integrated traffic control room that connects surveillance cameras, which has three months data back up facility, installed at 19 key junctions in various parts of the city.

This control room is different from the regular control rooms that every town and city have. Recently, police were successful in cracking a case where an unknown person opened fire in the air at the railway station and also traced missing schoolchildren with the help of surveillance cameras.

Applying the same concept, police staff at the integrated control room will, round-the-clock, monitor data from the surveillance cameras, and pass on necessary information and inputs to police standing at the next junction accor-ding to the moves of an offender.

Signal jumpers and traffic rules offenders can also be booked effectively with the help of the new system,, added a senior police official.

The city witnessed around 396 deaths and 1,298 were injured in road accidents during 2011.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Centre team forced to do aerial survey

By SNV Sudhir

Visakhapatnam, Dec 21'2011: Fearing tribals’ ire, a high-power committee, appointed by the MoEF, conducted aerial survey of Jerella and Sapparla divisions in Chintapalli, where large scale bauxite reserves are available, in a helicopter to avoid entering agency area by road.

The committee members, along with district collector, Lav Agarwal, chief conservator of forests Pratheek Kumar, APMDC senior official Mukesh Kumar Meena and other district officials made three sorties in the air and studied the area.

Protesting against the Committee’s visit, all tribal leaders, cutting across party lines, called for total shutdown of the agency areas on December 20 and 21. The bandh was a total success in all the 11 agency mandals, with not even a bicycle seen plying on the roads.

The tribal leaders also threatened the members of dire consequences if they tried to enter the region.
Some tribals even blocked major routes and roads that lead to those areas bauxite where reserves are available.

On Wednesday, the committee and the officials made two sorties. On Thursday, the committee would be holding a meeting to elicit opinions from the tribals, NGOs and voluntary organizations on the proposed mining.

However, the all-party forum that was launched recently to agitate against bauxite mining, called for a boycott of the meeting.

“Its unfortunate that the high power committee appointed by MoEF to study bauxite mining affects did not visit those places where tribals are going to be affected,” G. Srinivas, the coordinator of Samata, an NGO working for tribal rights, said.

Mr Srinivas also raised concerns over state government allegedly pushing hard to get clearances from the Centre to mine for bauxite.

He said, “Jairam Ramesh, when he was heading the MoEF, had announced that both Chintapalle and Sesshachalam forest areas would be reserved as biosphere areas, but the state government sent proposals only for Sesshachalam hill range and told centre that 'bio-sphere' tag would hamper mining activities in the Chintapalle forest region. I fail to understand why the state is favouring bauxite mining.”

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Realtors make beeline to register properties: T Stir effect

Realtors make beeline to register properties: T Stir effect
By SNV Sudhir
Visakhapatnam, Dec 13, 2011: These days land registration offices across the district are bustling with activity with realtors and other land buyers making beelines to register their properties. There has been a sudden spurt of land transactions after a brief lull for 3 months in this financial year which is going to end March next year.
And thanks to Sakala Janula Samme that the land transactions in Vizag have increased filling the coffers of the state here in the form of stamp duties and land registration fees. Seeing the aggressive mode of campaign by Telangana protagonists for division of state in the form of Sakala Janula Samme during September and October realtors here made beelines to buy land in huge chunks thinking that its inevitable that the state be divided and Vizag would be the hotspot in Andhra region after the division.
Against the target of generating revenue of Rs 314 crores during the present financial year land registration officers were discouraged due to the sudden lull during September and October.
The registration process gained momentum at a rapid pace registering impressive revenue of Rs 175 until now after the all people’s strike ended. “We were waiting for reaction from the Centre to the Sakala Janula Samme by Telangana protagonists as this time their agitation was more aggressive. We thought Centre was not having any other choice except dividing the state. So we started investing in Vizag because this city will be the next hot spot if the state is divided. But, now Centre seems to have again kept the separate state issue in the cold storage. Let’s see what’s going to happen,” said Kishan, a realtor belonging to Yendada.
Now the registration officers are hopeful that they would generate revenue of Rs 150 crores, remaining balance to the set target, before the financial year closes. During the last financial year they set a target of Rs 246 crores and could achieve Rs 261 crores. Land registrations are done at 8 offices across the district and highest revenue earner is the office located in Madhurawada alone with Rs 68 crores last year.
Madhurawada and surrounding areas has become the next big thing due to the presence of IT SEZ and many tourism projects, resorts and star hotels coming up in the vicinity.
8 and 7 percent of the land value has to be paid as stamp duties in rural and urban areas respectively. Whereas 5 percent as registration fees in both the areas. “With the kind of land transactions gained momentum we are hopeful of reaching the set target of Rs 314 crores by next year March end,” said Giribabu, registrar at central registration office located in One Town.